Steph’s Chickpea Curry with Spinach and Rice is a delicious and nutritious vegan recipe that combines the earthy flavors of chickpeas and aromatic spices with the freshness of spinach. It’s an easy-to-make and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed by everyone, whether they follow a vegan diet or not. Here’s a simple version of the recipe:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (or 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or brown, according to your preference)
- If using dried chickpeas, soak them overnight in water. The next day, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Alternatively, you can use canned chickpeas for convenience.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the skillet. Continue to sauté for another minute until the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Stir in the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook the spices with the onion mixture for about a minute to release their flavors.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot and coat them well with the spice mixture.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk, and give everything a good stir. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the curry cook for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the chickpeas to become tender. If using canned chickpeas, the cooking time will be shorter.
- While the curry is simmering, cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Once the chickpeas are tender and the flavors have developed, season the curry with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Add the chopped spinach to the pot and stir it in. Let the spinach wilt and cook for a few minutes until it’s incorporated into the curry.
- Serve the chickpea curry over the cooked rice, and you can garnish it with some fresh cilantro or lemon wedges for extra flavor.
Enjoy Steph’s Chickpea Curry with Spinach and Rice as a hearty and wholesome meal! This recipe is also customizable, so feel free to add other vegetables or adjust the spices to suit your preferences.