Cauliflower Orange Gnocchi is a flavorful and unique dish that combines the earthy taste of cauliflower with the bright and citrusy flavor of oranges. Gnocchi are soft, pillowy Italian dumplings typically made from potatoes, flour, and sometimes eggs. In this variation, cauliflower is used as a base ingredient to create a lighter and potentially healthier version of traditional gnocchi. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started:
For the Cauliflower Gnocchi:
- 1 medium-sized cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- Salt, to taste
For the Orange Sauce:
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Steam the Cauliflower:
- Steam the cauliflower florets until they are tender. You can use a steamer or microwave for this step.
- Make the Gnocchi Dough:
- Allow the steamed cauliflower to cool slightly, then transfer it to a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Place the squeezed cauliflower in a food processor and blend until you get a smooth, rice-like consistency.
- Transfer the cauliflower “rice” to a mixing bowl and add the flour and a pinch of salt. Mix to form a dough. Don’t overwork the dough; just combine until it comes together.
- Shape the Gnocchi:
- Dust a clean surface with flour and take a portion of the dough. Roll it into a long, thin rope, about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Use a knife to cut the rope into bite-sized pieces. You can press the back of the pieces with a fork or the tines of a gnocchi board to create ridges that will help the sauce cling to the gnocchi.
- Cook the Gnocchi:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the gnocchi into the boiling water.
- The gnocchi are done cooking when they float to the surface, which usually takes about 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them and transfer them to a plate.
- Prepare the Orange Sauce:
- In a skillet, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the orange zest and juice. Cook for a couple of minutes to infuse the flavors.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine and Serve:
- Add the cooked cauliflower gnocchi to the orange sauce in the skillet. Gently toss to coat the gnocchi with the sauce.
- Plate the Cauliflower Orange Gnocchi and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Enjoy your unique and delicious Cauliflower Orange Gnocchi dish!